Friday, November 20, 2009

Without a doubt, what drew me to this piece........




Is my love of the sea and all things nautical; weathered and worn by time, salt and surf. When I spotted this floating ship's compass at Thoreauly Antiques in a locked glass case I silently whispered to myself "please, let it be affordable". Turns out it was more than I thought I should be spending, especially since I already had a number of items waiting on the counter to be rung up. And then, an epiphany! An early birthday present. "Just think", I said to my husband,"you won't have to rack your brain thinking what to buy me....you won't even have to wrap it!". He took it from my hands looked it over a few times, as if he were an experienced appraiser, smiled and nodded yes. One of my best birthday gifts by far. When I look at the compass my mind brings me back to a movie I've seen many times....The Ghost and Mrs. Muir. As a young girl I romanticized about Gull Cottage and the love story that played out between Captain Daniel Gregg and Lucy Muir. (To view the movie trailer, click on The Ghost and Mrs. Muir above.)

2 comments:

Cindy said...

Your compass is lovely, is it old? I love old things, as well as chippy white things. You have a lovely blog! I read all of your posts and thoroughly enjoyed myself, Happy Thanksgiving, btw! Hugs, Cindy S.

Passionate for White said...

Hi Cindy, thanks for commenting on my post...I was so excited to know that you enjoyed it. Yes, the compass is old, it's from the 1930's.